Monday, June 25, 2007

the crap I read

Does anyone remember this really terrible MTV show The Blame Game? All I really remember about it was that the point of the show was to prove who was responsible for a couple's break-up. In one segment the couple had a chance to air embarrassing dirty laundry about each other, and the accused could either deny the embarrassing facts, or he could admit to it, by hitting a button and saying, "I admit it." Any time I'm about to admit something embarrassing about myself, I often think of this - and, in my head, I'm slapping an imaginary button and proudly admitting something embarrassing...

...like all of the above. See, the thing is, I had a LOT of free time in college.


As much as I like to read the classics, the modern classics, and the should-be modern classics, I read a prodigious amount of crap as well. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to reading:

All of Jane Green's novels. Well, not the most recent one, but I just bought it at Target. In hardcover.

All of Sophie Kinsella's novels - including Shopaholic and Baby while pregnant.

Lots of crappy YA novels, including the following serials: Gossip Girl, The A List, The Clique, The Au Pairs, The It Girl, Private, The Insiders, Summer Boys, and Seven Deadly Sins. And probably more.

Lots of books with very pink covers, none of which qualify as romance novels, none of which qualify as literature. Books by people like Plum Sykes, Lauren Weisberger, and Emily Giffin. Next up? 24 Karat Kids.

Also, I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get my hands on Dedication, the new novel by the craptastic authors who brought us The Nanny Diaries and Citizen Girl. I read the book jacket and was very surprised to learn that the authors actually bothered to give their protagonist a NAME this time around.

I'm also really excited for Kristin Gore's sequel to Sammy's Hill; I devoured Sammy's Hill two summers ago while living in exile at the Gray's house, and have been looking forward to more from her ever since.

3 comments:

Christy Wilkens said...

Having discovered Lauren Weisberger in my third trimester and Sophie Kinsella just last week, this is an excellent short list for me. Ah, crap lit -- perfect for reading with kids underfoot.

You might like Wendy Wasserstein's Elements of Style.

amy said...

I could get started on an English-major thesis on how Becky Bloomberg is perhaps the most sympathetic and human character crap lit ever has created (take THAT Bridget Jones), but I'll just say AT LEAST I'M READING, and not watching soap operas. Although, Passions has piqued my curiosity. I think I was always too hard on my mother for watching soap operas - I suddenly understand their appeal. They require about zero attention, but are there every day. Oh, well.

Unknown said...

BytheBookReviews.com just ran a full review of "24-Karat Kids." Please check it out at http://teenscenemag.com/bythebook/24-karat-kids/