Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Beatrice Letters

Wasn't it so thoughtful of Lemony Snicket to put out his newest book on my birthday? I thought so, too.

Unfortunately, I'm not nearly smart enough to figure it out, which is depressing, given it's a series of children's books. I mean, I'm painfully aware that I've already peaked and am on a precipitous decline (a la Flowers for Algernon), but still...

What I might have gleaned: Beatrice is more properly Beatrice Baudelaire, and there are two Beatrice Baudelaires, as well as a ship named Beatrice. One Beatrice may have been the Baudelaires' mother; another seems to know the children as adults. The rest, I'm not so clear on. I think Count Olaf and Lemony Snicket may have switched identities at one time.

I suspect all of this means either (1) I have far too much time on my hands or (2) October 13 cannot possibly come soon enough. Either way, I'll be spending tomorrow decoding anagrams and encrypted letters, poolside.

No comments: