Monday, September 04, 2006

Crater Lake, Oregon

For my birthday, Kevin and I visited Crater Lake in southern Oregon.

I've wanted to visit Crater Lake for years now, lured by the oh-so-blue photos in our Frommer's Guide to National Parks of the American West. I can't even really begin to articulate how badly I've wanted to go to this park. And now that we live (relatively) close, we were able to visit.

The park lived up to every expectation, and more. Let me begin with the water: it's blue. It's frighteningly blue. It's fake blue. It's Kool-Aid blue. It's so blue I expect that, if I were to cup some in my hands, it would still be blue.

In some ways, Crater Lake looks pretty-fake, like women with too much makeup or plastic surgery. It's so pretty, it causes you to speculate, "well, it couldn't possibly be real."

Oh, it's real.

We spent two full days there, which was more than enough time to hike down to the lake, take the boat tour, hike to the top of Wizard Island (the volcano in the middle of the island), and hike to other vistas in the area.

Kevin also did some (minor) cliff diving.

We took hundreds of photos. How could you not? I've tried to cull some of the better ones, but it was a difficult task.

Blue water, from dock

Crater Lake 2006

83 photos | Edit

No comments: