Monday, July 16, 2007

Transformers

Taking advantage of free babysitting, Kevin and I saw the Transformers tonight. (We arrived at the Transformers after realizing that it was theonlysinglemovie being shown between 8 and 9 p.m.)

So, while movies such as the Transformers clearly do not stand up to plot scrutiny, we did have these comments and questions:

(1) Why couldn't Megatron kill Shia LaBeouf? Really, if I were a giant alien robot, I'd hope I could take out little Louis Stevens.

(2) I can make a case for why the Transformers needed to transform into the first automobile they see...but why can't they re-transform after? I mean, wouldn't Optimus Prime want to be something a little more agile than a big rig?

(3) Why do I suddenly want to buy a Camaro? And drink a Mountain Dew? And call on Deloitte & Touche for all of my accounting needs?

When the movie didn't feel like a really long GM commercial, it was pretty fun. It was kind of cool to see the robots blowing up stuff. Kevin and I alternated between almost having seizures (due to the non-stop frenetic activity) and enjoying the ride.

Really, it's a lot better than the other Transformers movie, which Kevin rented from Netflix a few months ago. I suspect that it could only have been enjoyed under the influence of mind-altering substances. It's telling that the first Transformers movie reminded me a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

No comments: