Monday, January 08, 2007

Behind the Music: Charlie Brown Part II

A recent acquisition is the Complete Peanuts boxed set, including years 1955-1956 and 1957-1958.

In these comics, Linus emerges as my favorite character. He's just bizarre - blowing square and half balloons, constructing puzzles vertically, and defying all other laws of physics.

Unfortunately, Snoopy's starting to show up just a little too much for my taste in these years. I suspect the next box set (1959-1960 and 1961-1962) may be my last.

Some highlights below. Click on the comic to view larger image.

Lucy Van Pelt - my kind of girl.

Snoopy's short lived days as the mascot for the Queen Mary.
Which must not have gone over well with Charlie Brown's Young Republican friends.

Someone went to the George W. Bush School of International Relations.
Matt Groening's favorite strip.
Lucy has an interesting way of solving arguments.


Linus has developed his own way to solve arguments. I kind of like it...

...until it just gets macabre.
Linus clearly has some anger issues.

But it's not like he has a way with the women. (Besides, isn't Violet out of his league?)

No comments: