Friday, January 05, 2007

Required Reading #6: Water for Elephants


There was nothing about this book that I thought I'd like...an old man, remembering his circus days? Snooze-a-rama.

Plus, within the first 20 or so pages, I knew this would be the type of novel I dread: in which the major plot point is revealed at the start, and the rest of the novel just fills in details before and after.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

In a time in which I can barely keep my eyes open long enough to choke down a few pages of a graphic novel, I ripped through this book in just a few days. (I would have finished it more quickly, except for someone's insistence I go to sleep.)

In looking over the list of books I've read in the past year, I can easily say this is the best, by far. Perhaps in the past two years. Perhaps the best book I've read since The Plot Against America.

My only regret is that I'll have to return it to the library in a few days.

No comments: