Thursday, February 15, 2007

baby's first picture

I spent a lot of time measuring things with a bunch of kindergartners and first graders today. You know - kids running around with meter sticks, saying "Giovanny's pencil is 7 centimeters long! Sode's hair is 38 centimeters long!" It's really fun stuff.

These kids also were pretty interested in the happenings in my belly, and so it didn't really surprise me when one kid asked "how long is the baby?" A quick measure of my midsection led to a discussion as to how something I'd estimated as being 12 inches long could fit in my uterus (or, in kid terms, stomach).

I tried to explain to the kids how the baby is folded in half, and I even turned them into little yogis by having them try to kiss their kneecaps. Some kids still didn't get it, though, and so I drew a little diagram: a crude baby, which I then folded in half.

It seems my diagram wasn't - well, anatomically correct enough for some students. A particularly aware kindergartner added the reproductive organs below (and the navel!), thus suggesting BDR's a boy.

And, not to to be outdone, someone helpfully sketched in BDR's backside, on the reverse:
What I really like about this picture (other than the baboon-style bottom) is how you can kind of see the first bottom the kid drew. Apparently, BDR once had back, but has since had it retracted.

No comments: