Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I felt guilty watching...


Today, I tried to wrangle a group of off-the-wall second graders. To excise their extra energy, I proposed they each do 100 jumping jacks. Someone asked if the could do 100 push-ups instead. I said sure - I mean, really, how many push-ups can an 8 year old do?

Hmm. It didn't exactly turn out the way I thought it would. Well, the jumping jacks went off without a hitch, but the push-ups? To be incredibly frank, it looked like I had 7 or 8 kids in some kind of "humping camp" on the rug. It turns out that 8 year olds don't really know how to do push ups. Or, rather, they "push up" with their hips, and their arms remain rigid.

If you're curious, the kids were ridiculously excited to do their 100 exercises. And it didn't phase them one bit.

No comments: