Sunday, March 18, 2007

innate basketball wisdom

We've made it through the first weekend of March Madness with brackets somewhat intact. BDR's in the lead, one point ahead of Kevin, and two points ahead of me.

Which means that I'll probably lose because I said Gonzaga would beat Indiana.

Calbert Cheaney: Hubba Hubba

There are at least three things wrong with my choice. First, it's Gonzaga, which I really don't like at all. Second, it's Indiana, which I should have selected based on my alumni status and childhood crush on Calbert Cheaney. Third, the last time I picked against Indiana against my better judgement was in 2002, when they made a run to the National Championship before being downed by the awesome power of Juan Dixon.

(Also in 2002, I picked Duke to beat Indiana. But don't blame me! I was just a new Tar Heel, and my childhood crush on Christian Laettner was MUCH stronger than that on any Hoosier.)

The source of premarital counseling: my crush on CL.

But let's focus on the positive: BDR's a basketball savant!

Our Sydney Bristow tournament is shaping up as well. Some interesting Sweet Sixteen match-ups include: BDR (Ohio State) versus Troy McClure (Tennessee), Jack Bauer (Memphis) versus Borat (Texas A&M), and Kevin's postdoc adviser (Oregon) versus Dr. Manhattan (UNLV), the oddly sexual hero of The Watchmen.

My favorite match-up is Stanford McStanford (Pitt) versus Chapel Hill (UCLA). Stanford McStanford was a personality I'd developed to convince Kevin to move to California; he would periodically email Kevin with blurbs about the area, like, "it's only 300 miles to Yosemite!"

I'm hoping Chapel Hill rips Stanford McStanford limb from limb, as a sign that perhaps we'll be heading back.

2 comments:

Jared said...

Is it possible to post the entire Sydney Bristow tournament and when do I get to represent a school?!

Anonymous said...

Jared, of course you can be in the tournament. I hope you're not randomly assigned to Dook. Or Purdue. By the way, the final four is Puppy Goo-Goo (Fl) vs Chapel Hill (UCLA) and The Pacific Ocean (Georgetown) vs BDR (Ohio St).